Monday, May 10, 2010

Wake up ????..............

26th April 2010

Though I started writing on May 9th , but I decided to back date this writing of mine, simply because on this day , something happened , which I had not observed / realized before and would try to remember it for this special thought (yeah I know that I sound weird, but yes that’s how I think) .
Most of my weekends are spent watching some movies (which I download, while I am working in office from Torrent “I Love TORRENT :P” ) and doing some household work.
This weekend was also the same, but the movie that I saw was different. Happened to see “Wake up Sid”, a simple and no nonsense movie that talks about how an irresponsible and happy go lucky guy, goes through a self realization phase and discovers what he loves the most and decides to stick to it. The description till now will make you wonder, what is new in it? There have been lots of movies made on the same theme time and again. Well there is one thing that sets it apart from the usual story and that is the character of Konkona Sen. I don’t know if people have noticed it, but alongwith Ranbir , its Konkona too , who also undergoes a self realization process to clear out that hazy picture of “Perfect Man” in her life .
Konkona portrays a character, which many of today’s generation girls would be able to identify themselves with. An independent girl, who is determined to leave a mark in her profession and has her own dreams about her “Perfect Man”. She meets Ranbir, but is not impressed by his looks or lured by money and thinks that the guy is too kiddish for her age . This lady is then introduced to her boss, who is very handsome and very mature and initially, she realizes herself attracted towards him. While throughout the film, she dismisses the actions of Ranbir as too childish, the same comment from her boss regarding her music taste offends her and she drifts away from him.

The irony here is that Konkona had always dreamt of a handsome and mature guy as her soulmate , but when she meets one , she could not associate herself to him. While , on the other hand, there is Ranbir , who grows up in this whole process , but still is under her influence , when it comes to developing tastes and deciding on certain things , which no doubt gives her an upperhand . At the end of the story, she chooses Ranbir over her boss.
This story brings an often observed, but not much talked about change in today’s women. No doubt, it is great to be ambitious and financially independent, but then over the time independence also instills ego in girls. We have always talked about male ego for centuries, but this movie has subtly depicted the other side of the coin too.
Overtime, things have changed and so have the female mentality. While , I have always been a supporter of feminist thoughts , but this movie made me think that though it is desirable for a lady to be well educated, strong and ambitious in her life , but developing ego (which actually happens unintentionally), most of the times spoils her chances to adjust in her personal life and enjoy her family. And in many cases, this is also one of the major reasons for failed marriages. The movie ended on a good note , but left a lot to be explored and to ponder over for its viewers.

In real life, there are guys like Ranbir , who will definitely adjust according to their female partners , but what would happen if a girl like Konkona ties knot with a guy like her boss ?. The meeting of two strong opinionated people is bound to lead to clashes.

But when you’ve got a family to take care of, adjustments have to happen and ideally, they should happen from both the sides. For ages, it’s the woman who has made adjustments or has been groomed to make compromises. Now that the tide has turned and women too demand adjustments from their male counterparts, it is too hard for men to come to terms with this change. But, I think its only a matter of time and slowly and gradually, the society is coming to terms with it.

Till then , be a witness and a part of this revolutionary change :).


1 comment:

  1. well written kanu balancing two perspectives...i completely echo the konkona perspective...maybe amidst this modernity somewhere even the present day girl has a stereotypic image of the "ideal man"..I like the way you have mentioned about coming out of the feminist framework...Succint and absorbing writing...awaiting to read more. After all analysis I really feel matchmaking is a KISMAT CONNECTION!

    ReplyDelete